Baptism and Godparent Requirements
Parents of children who are six years of age or younger and who are in need of baptism must be registered, active parishioners of St. Peter Church.
Godparents take on serious obligations when they sponsor a person for baptism and they should be virtuous and faithful Catholics. Godparents must be fully initiated, practicing Catholics; if either godparent is married, he or she must be married in the Catholic Church.
Baptisms may be scheduled only after the parents and godparents have completed the requisite classes and after the parish office receives copies of the godparents' sacramental certificates for matrimony (if either godparent is married or if both are married to each other) and a letter from the parish at which the godparents belong stating that the godparents are in good standing with the Catholic Church and are eligible to be sponsors.
Parents and sponsors must attend baptismal classes before the baptism. Please call the parish office to register for the next classes to be offered in English or Spanish.
- Baptisms in English are usually offered every second Sunday of the month at 2:30 p.m. and every fourth Saturday of the month at 9 a.m.
- Baptisms in Spanish are usually offered every fourth Sunday of the month at 2:30 p.m. and every first, second, and third Saturday of the month at 9 a.m.
No date will be scheduled for a baptism until all requisites are completed. For more information, contact the parish office.
Catechism Classes for First Communion and Confirmation for Children
Registration for catechism classes for the academic year 2012-2013 (September through May) will end September 8, 2012. Fees for classes and books are $40 for one child, $70 for two children in the same family, $90 for three children in the same family, $100 for four children in the same family, and $10 for each additional child in the same family.
Families who cannot pay the total cost may apply for a scholarship. Classes are held on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. or on Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. until noon from September through May. Children taking catechism classes must be registered and attend classes for at least two years before receiving sacraments.
For information or to register, please call our Catechism Liaison, Mrs. Irene Perez, at (402) 341-4560, ext. 113. Registration is open through September 7, 2013.
- Norms in English: To download an English copy (updated Nov. 1, 2013) of the expectations, norms and requirements for both parents and children in catechism classes, click here.
- Norms in Spanish: To download a Spanish copy (updated Nov. 1, 2013) of the expectations, norms and requirements for both parents and children in catechism classes, click here.
- Catechism Calendar (Bilingual): To download the complete, bilingual 2013-2014 calendar (updated Nov. 1, 2013) for catechism classes on Wednesdays and Saturdays, please click here.
Home School Preparation for First Communion and Confirmation for Children
Please inform Sr. Clara at (402) 346-6845 by September 8th or as soon as possible if your child will be receiving a sacrament this school year.
At St. Peter, we agree with the Catholic Church that parents are the first and primary educators of their children in the ways of Faith. As such, we encourage parents to fulfill the duties they assumed at their children's baptisms to rear their children in the Catholic Faith and prepare them for additional sacraments.
Below you will find downloadable PDFs that list the expectations and requirements of children who will receive their First Reconciliation, First Communion or Confirmation preparation at home.
- First Reconciliation and First Communion Preparation Requirements at Home - 2013-2014 - UPDATED Oct. 26, 2013
- Confirmation Preparation Requirements at Home - 2013-2014 - UPDATED Oct. 26, 2013
Parishioners who are registered for a minimum of three months and who actively attend Mass at St. Peter are eligible to begin marriage preparation at St. Peter Church.
In addition, the Archdiocese requires at least six months of preparation prior to your wedding date.
Adult Catechesis, R.C.I.A.
Those over the age of seven who desire to become Catholic and/or receive the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation or Communion should contact Sr. Clara Acosta for instruction in Spanish or Fr. Ofalsa for classes in English. All are welcome to attend.
Classes on Catholic doctrine in Spanish
- Location: The O'Brien Hall, connected to the northwest corner of the church.
- Meeting Time and Day: Mondays, September through May, 7:15 p.m.-9 p.m.
Classes on Catholic doctrine in English
- Location: The Upper Room Catholic Library, located on campus on the second floor of 723 S. 27th St.
- Meeting Time and Day: Tuesdays, September through May, 7:15 p.m.-9 p.m.